Kerala, often referred to as “God’s Own Country”, is a splendid place to visit in India, with its amazing backwaters, and one of the best ways to explore its beauty through its palm-fringed lakes, lagoons and canals is on a houseboat in Kerala.
The houseboat in Kerala , locally known as kettuvallams, are an exclusive attraction in Kerala, gaining a lot of popularity among tourists from all around the world.
Now, if you are planning a cruise in Kerala, it is best to know what a houseboat in Kerala is all about.
See All Kerala Holiday Packages
- Best of Kerala Beaches, Backwaters & Houseboat ( 9 Nights | 10 Days)
- Kerala Nature Trail with visit to Trivandrum, Kovalam, Alleppey, Houseboat, Periyar, Kumarakom, Cochin ( 6 Nights | 7 Days)
- Kerala Historic Sites, Backwaters & Houseboat ( 7 Nights | 8 Days )
Everything You Need to Know About a Houseboat in Kerala Backwaters
Categories and Types of Houseboat in Kerala
A Kerala houseboat is typically made up of indigenous eco-friendly material and well-equipped with the modern comforts a hotel has.
They can come with single or multiple bedrooms with private balconies, fully-loaded kitchens, toilets and sundecks.
They also have skilled oarsmen and trained cooks. Generally, they are:
- Standard Houseboats
Mostly without an air-conditioning system, these boats have basic necessities with nothing else more than this.
- Premium or Deluxe Houseboats
These boats are more comfortable, where you will have air-conditioning for around 10 hours at night.
- Super Deluxe or Luxury Houseboats
These are filled with world-class comforts and luxuries, including well-mannered butlers.
These houseboats can also come with a double deck, accommodating more people, where you can savor stunning views of the backwaters on the upper deck, which usually comprises of a double bedroom with attached bathroom, a living area that features a TV and music system and a sundeck.
For the lower deck, there could also be an air-conditioned double room with attached bathroom that can easily accommodate more people, and even a welcome area and a dining area with TV and a sit-out.
Given all the qualities of these types of houseboat, they can be hired by two separate groups at the same time.
Knowing Your Options and Booking
If you do not want to experience any disappointment from not being able to get a houseboat on a first-come-first-serve basis, then it is highly recommended to make your reservation beforehand, whether you are in for a day cruise, an overnight stay or even a two-night cruise.
Regardless of how much you are setting aside for this boat, there is basically a few things that come standard for your houseboat cruise experience.
Amenities, Comforts and Services
These amenities, comforts and services include: 3 meals per day that will come with an afternoon snack, where you will have to make clear whether you want to have Keralan cuisine or Western-style food; welcome drinks; drinks for the trip, including water, coffee and tea; a fruit basket; working fans in each room; towels; and toiletries, such as soap.
Keep in mind that these houseboats will not stock soft drinks and alcohol for you, so you might want to stock up on these items.
Houseboat prices vary depending on the type and category of boat that you will pick and the duration of your cruise.
With all these bits of information, you will be able to find the perfect houseboat for your cruise along the beautiful Kerala backwaters.
Read More : 55 Top Tourist Attractions of Kerala
- Ayurveda in Kerala
- Kerala Backwaters
- Beaches in Kerala
- Hill Stations in Kerala
- Spice Plantations in Kerala
- Eco Tourism in Kerala
- Wildlife in Kerala
- Temples in Kerala
- Culture Of Kerala
- Cuisine Of Kerala
- Monuments Of Kerala
- Arts and Crafts Of Kerala
- Munnar Hill Station, Kerala
- Fairs & Festivals in Kerala
- Religious Places in Kerala
- Museums in Kerala
- Snake Boat Race, Kerala
- Chinese Fishing Nets, Kerala
- Alappuzha Backwaters, Kerala
- Kovalam Beach, Kerala
- Varkala Beach, Kerala
- Ayurveda in Kovalam, Kerala
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Kerala
- Bekal Fort, Kerala
- Eravikulam National Park, Kerala
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Kerala
- Devikulam Hill Station, Kerala
- Vagamon Hill Stations, Kerala
- Lighthouse Beach, Kerala
- St. Francis Church, Kerala
- Munnar Spice Plantation, Kerala
- Idukki Hill Station, Kerala
- Guruvayoor Temple, Kerala
- Samudra Beach, Kerala
- Tata Tea Museum, Kerala
- Jewish Synagogue, Kerala
- Ambalappuzha Sree Krishna Temple, Kerala
- Vembanad Lake, Kerala
- Ponmudi Hill Station, Kerala
- Hawa Beach, Kerala
- Aruvikkuzhi Waterfalls, Kerala
- Archaeological Museum Thrissur, Kerala
- Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala
- Thiruvalla Temple in Alappuzha
- Thekkady Spice Plantation, Kerala
- Marari Beach, Kerala
- Wayanad Hill Station, Kerala
- Vellayani Lake, Kerala
- Veli Tourist Village, Kerala
- Cheeyappara Waterfalls, Kerala
- Palakkad Hill Station, Kerala
- Anamudi Peak, Kerala
- Kappad Beach, Kerala
- Kundala Lake, Kerala
Read More : Top Destinations in Kerala
- Alleppey (Alappuzha)
Latest posts by La Vacanza Travel (see all)
- भारतीय जोड़ों और पर्यटकों के लिए ‘दुबई और मॉरिशस की जोड़ी’ है – नंबर 1 - 25 August, 2017
- दुबई हॉलिडे टूर की योजना – जानिए सब कुछ - 11 May, 2017
- How To Book The Best Dubai Trip For Your Money - 5 April, 2017