The Golden Temple, Amritsar
The Harmandir Sahib, also known as Darbar Sahib is referred to as “The Golden Temple”. It is a prominent Sikh Gurdwara located in the city of Amritsar, state of Punjab in India.
Approx 450 kms from Delhi, The Golden Temple is the most important gurdwara in Amritsar and in India. The Harmandir Sahib is considered holy by Sikhs.
In keeping with the norms observed in Gurdwaras everywhere, the Harmandir Sahib is also open to everyone regardless of their religion, colour, creed, or sex. The four entrances in Harmandir Sahib ( instead of usually 01 ) signify the importance of acceptance and openness.
Inside the Gurdwara complex there are many shrines of Sikh Gurus, saints and martyrs. Approx 100,000 people visit the holy shrine every day for visits and / or for worship.
A large lake or holy tank surrounds The Gurdwara, known as Amrit Sarovar. Name of city Amritsar also comes from Amrit Sarovar.
The Harimandir Sahib runs one of the largest free kitchens in the world referred as Langar, It is a Golden Temple community kitchen that serves on an average 75,000 devotees or tourists. This number usually doubles during special occasions. 100’s of employees and devotees render their services to the kitchen in order to make and serve meal free of cost every day.
Read More about India :
- Why You must Visit Kerala – God’s Own Country
- 22 Photos that gives you a glimpse of Rajasthani Men’s life & Their fashion statement – Turban
- In Pictures : Khajuraho Temples
- In Pictures : The Taj Mahal A Great Monument of Love
- In Pictures : Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi
- In Pictures : Jama Masjid, Delhi
The Golden Temple, Amritsar attracts a lot of tourist and devotees alike from all over the world. It is located in state of Punjab in India. If you wish to know more about visiting Amritsar please do not hesitate to write to us.
LIKE IT ? WHY NOT SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS !
Latest posts by La Vacanza Travel (see all)
- Your Travel, Your Way: Four Reasons to Book a Private Tour Package - 25 October, 2018
- Top 5 things to do when in Abu Dhabi - 25 October, 2018
- The Dead Sea: Five Must-Knows for Every Traveller - 26 September, 2018